Summer BBQ Recipe
By: Cecile Francis
Start prepping for a fun weekend event with family and friends! From healthy skewers and Potato Salads, to BBQ Chicken, here is a great picnic recipe idea:
Sweet Potato Salad with Lemon-Buttermilk Dressing
- 3 pound(s) (3 large) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup(s) light mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 3 stalk(s) celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
In 6-quart sauce-pot, place potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
Meanwhile, from lemon, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1 tablespoon juice. In large bowl, whisk lemon peel and juice with buttermilk, mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Stir in celery, onion, and parsley.
Drain potatoes; cool 10 minutes. Add to dressing in bowl and gently stir until potatoes are well coated. Makes about 8 cups. Spoon potato salad into large container with tight-fitting lid. Can be refrigerated up to 1 day.top
By: Ilona Yon & Nick Williams
This is a traditional German Christmas drink and has been used for hundreds of years (some say as far back as Ancient Greek times) in one form or another.
Today there are dozens of local and regional variations on what in German speaking countries is known as Glühwein and thus is found in dozens of languages but all basically vary on the theme of “Hot/boiled/mulled, spiced wines made and consumed around the Winter Holidays”.
There is no set or standard formula and just about every town, region or even family has its own variation on a basic Glühwein. Once the basic Glühwein is made, one can stick to the standard or experiment and make their own “family” version based on taste, tradition or available ingredients.
- 1 Bottle of Red wine (dry is best) -use the cheapest wine(within reason!) as the added ingredients make the final product(Table wine is suggested
- 1 Lemon (orange can be used too- experiment with half a lime if you like)
- 2-3 sticks of Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 3 tablespoons of sugar (my family preferred brown/Dark sugar but honey is also prized for this)
- A dash of cardamom (pods are better) and/or ginger – a bay leaf is also seen – but this is where the “experiment for personal taste comes in!!)
Pour wine into a cooking pot, warm wine (DO NOT BOIL!) and then add the other ingredients (Sometime sticking the cloves into the lemon peel- if cut into wedges is suggested but slices of lemon will work too). Warm the mixture for about 5 to 7 minutes (no boiling). Remove from heat and let stand for one hour (the longer the deeper/richer the flavors). Re-heat, strain and serve. PROST – Zum Wohl .(Enjoy)
“Mitt schuss” (with a shot) of brandy, rum (my Family used this-), schnapps, vodka, kirsch or other liqueur.